- 1 medium sugar pumpkin - about 4 cups mashed pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sucuant
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground sea salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
Ever wonder what’s in that pumpkin puree you get from the store. Yeah me too. I decided if I was going to do a Gluten Free – Dairy Free Thanksgiving this year, I was going to have to conquer a lot of obstacles. Pie crust and Pumpkin pie filling are just a few. I wasn’t about to go all out making a killer GF pie crust only to fill it with canned pumpkin puree and carnation sweetened condensed milk.
Enter Sugar Pumpkin.
It’s what real pumpkin pie puree is made of and it’s stupid easy to make. One medium sugar pumpkin should make about 4 cups of pumpkin puree.
Also, you’ll want to invest in a means to really puree the heck out of this pumpkin. Unless the pumpkin is really soft, a potato masher just won’t cut it and you don’t want to be the one who brought the pumpkin pie to Thanksgiving dinner that everyone had to chew. A pumpkin pie should just slide down your throat in one delicious gulp of spicy, silky flavor. So make sure you run it through a food processor or good blender or even a good emersion blender before you add it to your pie.
Substitutions: Instead of coconut milk, try almond milk or raw grass-fed cream (if you’re not dairy free)
Real Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Poke holes in your sugar pumpkin with a fork or knife. Bake pumpkin for 30-45 minutes or until fork tender. Allow pumpkin to cool. Cut off stem and slice pumpkin in half then scoop out seeds and tendrils. Remove peel then chop pumpkin in small 2 inch pieces.
- Use an emersion blender or food processor to mash up the cooked pumpkin into a very smooth puree.
- Whip eggs until frothy
- Whisk in Sucuant, then spices then salt
- Add pumpkin and milk then mix until well blended and smooth
- Pour filling into pie crust and create tin foil tents to cover the crust with
- Bake at 450 F for 15 minutes
- Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for an additional 40-45 minutes.